How to Change Google+ Username & Pre-Approved Custom URL
Like facebook and twitter, Google Plus too used to have an option of changing username. But in their recent layout change, they have removed the ability to modify the Profile URL aka Vanity URL. However, not everything is gone yet. If you have not changed your username till now, then there is no need to worry because there is still a workaround which I will show you in this post.
But before you proceed further, there are few things you need to keep in mind:
- You must have 10 or more follower/friends on G+.
- Your account must be 30 days old.
- Your profile should have a profile picture (real or not, doesn’t matter).
- Your account should be in good standing.
- Once you have changed your username, you won’t be able to change it again in future. So choose it wisely.
Watch Video Tutorial:
Or, read below:
1. Open Google+ website and sign in to your Google account.
2. Click on the “Back to Classic Google+” link at the bottom of the left sidebar.
3. Now, if your profile meets the requirements mentioned earlier, then you will see a blue “Get URL” button at the top of the page.
4. If you do not see any button, then click “Profile” -> “About.” Scroll down to the “Links” box, and you should see the “Get URL” link there.
5. Click on the link and Google+ will show some pre-approved usernames for your profile. Now you can either choose any of those usernames or read the further tutorial.
Changing Pre-Approved URLs:
When we try to change our username, Google+ gives us some preapproved usernames instead of simply letting us choose a username of our liking. However, there is a way to change that.
1. Change your Profile Name to the username of your choice and click save changes. Close your web browser.
2. Open Google+ again and open the old layout by clicking on the “Back to Classic Google+” button.
3. Now, you will see that Google+ is giving a preapproved URL of your choice.
4. Simply accept it, and you will get the desired username.
5. Change your Profile Name to the original one.
If you find all these complicated, then do watch the video tutorial for easier instructions.