How to Merge Multiple HDD Partitions into One Partition in Windows 10/8/7
After my old Laptop stopped working, I removed its HDD and decided to use it as an external storage drive. But there was a little problem, it had several partitions, and I only wanted one. To solve this issue, I used the following methods.
Watch Video Tutorial:
Or, read below:
Method 1 – Using “Computer Management” Option
You can use this inbuilt Windows tool for the mentioned purpose, but when I tried it for the first time, it was giving me the “The operation is not supported by the object” error. If it happens to you as well, then try the second method.
1. Connect the HDD to your PC or Laptop.
2. Once it is detected by your computer, right-click on “This PC” (Windows 10) or “My Computer” (Windows 7 or 8) icon and click “Manage.”
3. It will open the “Computer Management” screen similar to the image below. Click on the “Disk Management” option under “Storage” drop-down menu.
4. If your HDD has three partitions like mine, then delete two of them by right-clicking and selecting the “Delete Volume” option. Leave the remaining one partition alone.
Note: If you have four partitions, then delete 3 of them and so on.
5. Now, on one side, you will see a large “Unallocated” space, and on the other side, you will see the remaining partition. Right-click on the latter and select “Extend Volume” option.
6. Click “Next” two times without changing any settings, and then “Finish.”
Method 2 – Using MiniTool Partition Wizard
Download Page: https://www.partitionwizard.com
It is a very nice software through which you can solve lots of Hard Disk related issues. But for the sake of this tutorial, just download the latest version of Minitool Partition Wizard Free Edition.
1. Download the app from its official site and install it on your PC. Connect the HDD and open the app.
2. Just like the first method, delete all other partitions except one by right-clicking and selecting “Delete” option.
3. Once you have “Unallocated” space on one side and remaining partition on the other like the image below, then right-click on the partition side and select “Extend.”
4. Under the “How much free space do you want to take ?” heading, drag the scroll bar towards the end of the line, and click “OK” button.
5. Now, just click on the “Apply” button to apply all the changes.